We are also live streaming. This meeting on the faas youtube channel, twitter and facebook pages before we start the dac meeting. I would like to share with you a few housekeeping items. First, we ask that everyone remain muted during the presentations. After each briefing, there will be an opportunity for the dac members to engage in discussion and ask questions because of the large size of the group. We ask that you first raise your hand using the zoom command on your dashboard. I will be moderating and will monitor the dashboard and call on you to begin speaking. Second, a reminder that this stack meeting is being live, streamed and recorded. The recording will be archived and made available for future viewing on the faas youtube channel. Lastly, our faa team is monitoring the meeting so for those of you on zoom, if you have technical problems at any time during the meeting, please make a note in the comments in the zoom dashboard and we will assist you for those viewing the live stream. We are unable to answer any questions posted in the chat box. Lets get started at this time, id like to turn it over to jay merkel, who is the executive director of the uas integration office for the official statement of the designated federal officer and his opening remarks. Jay. Thank you gary, and a warm welcome to all the members of the dac joining us virtually from across the united states and to the attendees joining us on the live stream.

Before i begin my opening comments, i have a procedural item. I need to go through as a designated federal official for the drone advisory committee id like to read the official statement in accordance with the federal advisory act. This advisory committee meeting is open to the public notice of the meeting was published in the federal register. On may 13, 2021 members of the public may address the committee with prior approval of the chairman that should be arranged in advance. Only appointed members of the advisory committee may vote on any matter brought to a vote by the chairman. The public may present written material to the advisory committee at any time. That concludes my official statement and at this time it is my pleasure to introduce the faas deputy administrator, mr bradley mims, to say a few words over to you brad, okay. I i believe mr mims has been held up first up for a few moments, so i will just roll with this and um when, mr, if someone could notify me when mr mims joins and ill stop speaking and turn it back to him, id like to highlight Todays agenda: we have several presentations scheduled for todays meeting. The first is the faas response to task group nines recommendations on how remote identification might be used to increase situational awareness among all aviation operators in low altitude airspace. These recommendations were presented to the faa on june 23. 2021. The second presentation is the fas responses to the task group 10s recommendation on how to adopt gender neutral language for the drone community.

These were these recommendations were presented to the faa again june 23rd. At 20 20 on 20, the year 2021 at the dac meeting. Well then have a short break and well have the dac present their recommendations from task group 11 on their review of the fas white paper on acceptable level of risk. The final briefing is an interim set of recommendations from the dax task group 12 on how to integrate uas operations into kindergarten through 12th grade curriculum. Both of these briefings are in response to faa taskings issued again at the june 23rd 2021 dac meeting. We will close out todays meeting with an opportunity for any of the dac members to discuss new business items. A final housekeeping item is the approval of the meeting minutes from our june 2023 meeting. These minutes have been posted to the doc website and were also included in the read ahead material for this meeting. At this time, i would like to entertain a motion to approve the minutes from the june 23 2021 dac meeting, so moved is there a second. Second. Are there any objections to the motion to approve the june 23rd 2021 meeting minutes? Hearing no objections: the motion is passed, welcome everyone to the third dec meeting of 2021. before i turn it over to houston. For his opening remarks, i want to highlight some of the significant achievements that have occurred since our last meeting in june. On september 14th and 15th, we held episode 4 of the 2021 faa uas symposium.

If you recall episode, 3 was on june 9th and 10th combined. There were total of 52 sessions with more than a thousand attendees and im happy to say that more than half of our 167 speakers were women or people of color im also happy to say that our international audience grew yet again, with 168 international attendees across 60 Countries highlighted by 113 representatives from civil aviation authorities some of the highlights id like to go over now we heard from administ faa administrator, steve dixon, announcing the creation of the beyond visual line of sight, site aviation rule, making committee or bb loss arc, and the announcement Of the recreational uas safety test or trust, we heard remarks from representative rick larson, chair of the aviation subcommittee house, transportation and infrastructure committee, and we had a fireside chat on diversity, equity and inclusion, led by deputy administrator bradley mims. Since the announcement of the bb loss art, the over 80 members of the ark who represent eight different stakeholder groups, have been heavily engaged in developing their recommendations. The arc is a critical step towards developing a regulatory path for routine beyond visual line of sight operations. The recommendations from the arc will lead to a bb loss rule that creates a predictable environment for drone operations, especially for vital things like infrastructure, inspection, public safety package delivery and agriculture operating by a rule will unlock the true economic possibilities of this technology and these operations Of course, this only highlights the important work of the drone advisory committee.

The drone advisory committee continues to be a key component of developing means to fully integrate uas that are safe, scalable, economically, viable and environmentally conscious. I look forward to hearing the latest set of recommendations from the dac. I want to thank the dozens of individuals who put in many hours of work to make this stack meeting a success and prior to turning it over to you houston. Can i check ah theres deputy administrator mims there? You are sir um id like to turn it over to you for your remarks, sir. Well, thank you. Jay – and i apologize for being a little late were dealing with a number of issues here at the agency, were, were just grateful to have you brad, okay, thats, no problem, but uh its good to be here and uh. You know i i am coming on. As a new disciple of the uh, the drone industry uh had getting some im getting some some exposure. If i can put it that way, uh was out in california this past weekend and a couple of our able participants here today entertained me and just showed me just straight on straight out what theyre doing and what theyre looking to do in the future. And i look forward to visiting with others of you as we go forward in the future, but again hello to everybody. Viewing the live stream of todays drone advisory committee meeting and again its been a very exciting year for the drone community, and not just because of our progress in rulemaking and operations.

As deputy ive had the honor of attending several drone advisory meetings. Where ive learned a lot about drone stakeholders and their key issues and again i look forward to again uh coming and visiting with you and many of you one on one uh as we go forward at the june dac meeting, the faa received recommendations for adopting gender Neutral language within the drone community and uh, this uh was pretty well thought out and uh comprehensive. This comprehensive report has been the catalyst for an even larger initiative to adopt gender neutral language throughout the entire faa and aviation community. As far as im concerned, language matters and as a task group said in their recommendation, transitioning to gender neutral language is a giant step to welcoming welcoming everyone to the drone and the aviation communities. We know diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility are critical, building blocks for unleashing and maximizing innovation. As a result of the dax recommendation and several other other uh internal initiative initiatives, we have scheduled an inclusive language summit to be held on november 10, 2021. and ill tell you were really excited about that and moving forward. The words included in the dacs recommendations are the foundational language we are using for this initiative and they are included in yesterdays federal register notes, announcing the summit. Additional details may be found on the faas website dac members, and those involved in the subcommittee and task groups have embraced their role in all aspects of the drone integration.

And i want to personally thank each and every one of them for their hard work and for being the impetus for this historic change in the entire aviation industry. And let me tell you something i uh i i spoke at a airports conference on monday and there are people who are very, very excited about whats going on in this community. But there are many, many more who dont understand the gravity of whats going to happen and whats coming down the pipe, and especially those people. Those entities that have not uh been forward. Thinking enough to kind of understand that theyre going to have to deal with infrastructure and other issues as as they go forward, and i was a little annoyed with some of the guys with the smaller uh airports who are just kind of not keeping up with with Whats going on with you and and this industry so uh, we we have to to our horns a little more than we have been and im im, confident with uh houstons leadership and jays leadership and the faa and our community entirely. That were going to do something to address that uh with that with that, i just have a couple of other really cool things to share. Today, on friday october 22nd, we received approval from the secretary to make major changes to the drone advisory committee. The most significant change is that the dax focus will expand to include advanced air mobility issues, interests and policies to support the expanded role.

We will change the name of the dac to the advanced aviation advisory committee or the aaac. These changes reflect a logical progression to position the faa and this committee to work concurrently with both the drone and aam industry and stakeholders on issues, technologies and policy. In addition to the name change, the faa will expand from the current 35 members to 41 members. These additional vacancies will expand representation in some of the current stakeholder groups and we will look to fill them with representatives with an aam background. We will also be adding a 15th stakeholder group that includes a community advocate representative. The community advocate representative will provide insight and expertise on the potential impacts of increased drone traffic in communities throughout the country. These changes to the dac and solicitation for new members will formally be announced in the federal register in the very near future, and we ask for your assistance in getting the word out. So please encourage your colleagues and your networks to apply for the uh aaac. In order to help us divide, i mean develop a robust, diverse, qualified candidate pool from which we can make recommendations to the secretary. I know you will have a full range. I know you have a full agenda ahead of you today, so at this time ill turn it back over to jay and let you guys continue your meeting and i thank you for having me uh this afternoon and uh. I look forward to all of the activities.

Uh that youre uh doing and moving down the pike again you got a convert here, so i look forward to working with all of you. Well thats, fantastic! Thank you. Brad, im glad we have a convert, we need as many as we can get and um thats. Very exciting news you brought us on both the um, the advanced aviation advisory committee and the workshop on inclusive language and im, looking forward to both of those so with that im going to turn it over to our dac chairman. Captain houston mills for your opening remarks. Houston all right! Well, thank you, jay its its great to see everybody and id like to personally welcome all the dac members uh, of course, uh deputy administrator mims. Thank you so much for all your leadership and support and the jeu and the fba team for phenomenal support to kind of keep things going. We also like to give a big welcome uh to all those who are viewing us a live stream. Uh, you know jay. I agree that the work of the dac is a key component in the safe integration of drones into the national airspace system and as we move forward to the advanced aviation uh advisory committee, that work is going to continue. As deputy administrator men said. So the pace of drones and operations continues to grow. The latest faa forecast in fact estimates there will be 2.’ million commercial and recreational uas. Finding a national airspace system by 2025.

. The input and collaboration between government and industry stakeholders is vital to ensure that technology is advanced as quickly and safely as possible. Having been a member of the adac since its establishment in 2016, i can personally attest to the value that that provides to the faa, through his thought, leadership and input of information and shaping future policy. Just listening to the work on the gender, neutral, tasking and other things are forthcoming, is surely exciting and gives me goosebumps just thinking about the dedication and impact that this this leadership team is providing. So i look forward to hearing the fas responses to our two. Most recent recommendations, as well with that weve got a full agenda, so id like to turn over to our first presentation. Todays first briefing is from the faa and its official response to task group nines recommendations on situational awareness so joe over to you. Thank you. Its actually uh manny, i picked it up um for joe. My name is manny cruz im the manager of the um uas implementation branch in the uas integration office, where one of the things that were doing is working towards implementing the remote id uh rule. That recently came out um in that effort, um weve been doing some um work, thats led to um the recommendation that were going to talk about today. So with that, can we go to the next slide so um at the october 2020 meeting of the dac, the faa tasked the dac to engage operators in low altitude airspace to obtain feedback on how remote id might be able to be used to increase situational awareness And use this feedback to develop recommendations on how the faa can address responses to the rfi.

The faa had been seeking for information on how the what i do rule may provide an opportunity to increase situational awareness for piloted aircraft uh. Prior to this tasking, the faa had issued a request for information on a topic and, while the responses to the rf5 provided thoughtful feedback, the fa only received 30 responses and wanted to leverage the dac to broaden the number of respondents and the level of representation. In the responses next slide, so the dac no no doubt stepped up to the plate. Um the dac reported out on this tasking at the june 23 deck meeting um and in in the in the work that they did in their briefing um. They informed us that they established a task group test group, nine that comprise the three subgroups which ill get to it um in a second but uh. The task group decided to examine both the faas question, but also explore the the spirit of the question. So this led the dac to explore ways to increase situational awareness and low altitude airspace to include the use of remote identification information. So, as i mentioned, they broke up into three subgroups, one that explored if and how remote identification could be used to increase situational awareness. One that studied existing and developing technologies that can convey situational awareness pertaining to uas to include remote id and sub group 3, which analyzed ways to maximize the effectiveness of capabilities available to private aircraft in uas to drive situational awareness, while avoiding mandates on operators in low Altitude airspace, the task groups reports included annexes that compiled the work of each of the subgroups to include the recommendations from each of the subgroups, but based on the inputs from each other subgroup task.

Group 9 formulated for high level observations and that form the dax recommendations. Next slide so heres, just a a uh uh were just restating the uh recommendations provided and were gon na im gon na break it down a little bit more um in the next few slides um, but just to underscore that that we did look at the fights. I wanted to put it put it right up in front um its uh four four recommendations: one to avoid technology, specific recommendations related to the use of remote identification, emphasize the accessibility of publicly available remote id information. Two pilot aircraft practices and procedures should be voluntary should conform with existing electronic flight back or onboard display technologies. Human practice considerations should be investigated. First, three uh, the uas industry partnering with the faa and piloted aircraft communities, should develop integration strategies that foster maximum cooperation low off to their space and create avenues for piloted aircraft taxes, information regarding uas operations and then finally, um four review. Existing policies related to piloted aircraft technologies, to assess their adaptability to uas, use cases, place emphasis and encouragement on uas and piloted aircraft integration efforts already underway and where possible, the faa industry should rely upon already existing technologies such as adsp next slide. So one thing that we noticed in these recommendations: uh very robust recommendations. They had a mix of action items, actionable items um and it wasnt specifically just to the ffa uh, but we wanted to bring out the action items um and but also consider the other other pieces with that part of the parameters.

So if you enter edited the recommendations a bit, these are the action items that that we got out of recommendations, um the first one being investigate human factor. Considerations, uh the second one being review existing policies related to piloted aircraft technologies, and so these two pieces are to support the main and the big action item that we we caught in the um recommendation, which was for the uas industry, collaborating with the faa and palliative Aircraft industry to develop integration strategies that foster maximum awareness as part of these strategies um there were, there were um a variety of parameters to consider so thats. The next slide were already there: four parent four parameters, um on actions taken and im. Sorry im. Looking at my deck of fire, if um, we werent seeing the same thing uh, but these are the parameters for the actions taken um they should be voluntary. The practicing procedure should be voluntary that we should avoid recommending technology instead of instead emphasize the accessibility of data. We should focus on areas where integration efforts are underway and we should rely on existing technologies next slide, and i just mentioned that so next slide apologies. The deck went to more revisions um than it should be and uh i probably did not get the right deck. Uh, so this is the fas response. Uh, first of all, thank you. It was. It was a robust report with a lot of information, especially considering what each of the subgroups did um with a with a lot of good nuggets in there, even outside of the recommendations.

Um that provided some thought to the faa, so we appreciate the work that the the task group did um in developing this recommendation, um. The short of it is that that we concur uh, and so what were gon na do to address this recommendations, the key piece being to um a recommendation for an industry group to lead engagement with both the faa and um, the piloted community uh. We want to look and and also considering the parameter, that it should be voluntary or want to leverage the drone safety team. So were going to present these recommendations to the drone safety team and recommend that the drone safety team, the dst, has established this uas industry work group that leads its effort. The benefit of leveraging the drone safety team is that they engage regularly with the general aviation joint steering committee, the ghasc, which is the general aviation version of the safety team um and then provides an opportunity to leverage the the the work thats going on uh between The two to really carry forward this, this uh recommendation to something that can be um implemented uh, but to support their effort, taking into account the other two um actual action items there. The faa is going to commit to providing the white paper on human tactic. Considerations to the industry work group and they can as a as an industry leader organization. They can pull this information from where they can find it. But the faa has human factors, subject matter expertise across the agency and were going to never expertise to provide information to to the dst and then were also going to provide a white paper on the existing policies related to quality aircraft technologies to assess their adaptability.

The uas use case to work group um. The the task group provided a good um visual and table in the back on the different technologies that are out there, um and the and as much information as as they could on on the policies and the use of those technologies and were going to use that. As the basis for the work that we do that were going to do, expand on it, develop this white paper and provide it to the uh drone safety team. So that is the faas response to the recommendations. I i want to take some time to see if there are any questions or comments that the dac members would like to make at this time. Please remember to raise your hand using the zoom command on your dashboard and the fa moderator will mute you. You have a question from kenji: go ahead. Yes good morning, fellow dac members and uh viewers alike, uh manny. Thanks for a wonderful presentation, i did have a question on the pilot aircraft technologies that youll be looking at. It was mentioned that adsb uh is one of the the items to look at. Can you elucidate or let us know what some of the other technologies that you are looking for looking at? Thank you well, so the so were going to bring it to the uas t, to telegram with the technologies and actually included technologies and strategies. It was in the back in the annex of the um.

I think sub group to farming will broccoli um. It included remote id um, adsb transponders, environmental, crafty and also uh, considered um other strategies that um that are in there the faa we havent jumped on this action item because weve got to present it to the dst. The dst right now is working to um backfill. The um current vacancy that they have for the co chair and then were going to go to the steering committee with the presentation and then well develop the products and be coordinated across the the agency to provide that that white paper so ive had that. Uh. More than what the what was in the table for the back uh from the deck um, but just commit to the work that were planning on doing. Thank you next questions from uh captain joe defeat hey good afternoon everyone and welcome off to the drone members and chair houston mills, houston good, to see you again: uh administrator mims and uh deputy administrator members and executive director, jane merkel, great to see everybody again hope. Youre all doing well, i have just one one comment and and one a quick question: uh, first of all outstanding job and a great presentation manny, i i really feel like you know, the the whole issue of situational awareness for pilots is just absolutely basic to to What we do anyway, um and – and we know that to anybody, whos, lost situational awareness and what that feels like, particularly in an aircraft um but uh.

This is really a huge step forward and applaud uh the effort thats going in there um. You know, and i look forward to the day when we explore further uh the idea of changing, maybe perhaps or expanding upon the broadcast format that that information can be related in some way to other airspace users, so were looking forward to that um and and with That question id ask like the information that will be collected now by the faa in terms of the broadcast data, will that that will be made available to the to the dst, the information that were collecting now? Yes, sir, for bro uh, so i have to touch base with the with the action offices to determine um what the re disability is and what the protections are associated with the data, but well take that recommendation into consideration. Yeah and uh. Captain depe. Yes, the the broadcast information which does not contain personally identifiable information will be available to the public at large. So i think it comes down to you know, whats the mechanism for collecting and redistributing and, i think, thats a good collective conversation between the drone community. The service suppliers, which will be supporting of remote id and the general aviation and commercial aviation communities – you know whats really going to work um i mean one can sort of envision something like a tis b kind of function for remote id, but we would have to Figure out how to mechanize that right, excellent, i appreciate the answer.

Manny and also jay appreciate it fantastic work. Everyone thanks all right! Thank you. There are no further questions or comments ill turn it back over to the deck chair by captain houston to introduce the next presentation. Okay, thank you. Manny. Our next briefing will be by abby smith, who is the executive director for aviation policy and plans for the faas office of policy, international affairs and environment abbey will presenting be presenting the fas response to task group 10s recommendations on gender neutral language for the drone community. Abby over to you well, thank you, houston and its an honor to be here with the dak. This is the first time so i must admit, im a little nervous to be amongst this auspicious group, but without further ado, let me let let me share with you. Our response to the recommendations you made next slide, please so as background as youre all well aware. In february, we presented a task to you to develop recommendations for gender, neutral languages, alternatives to our binary terms, specifically in the drone industry and and then the aviation community. At large um and to facilitate the adoption of a language throughout the community and recommendations for other organizations to implement and on the 23rd, the dac delivered on task group 10 and provided four recommendations as follows. Next slide, recommendations want to do first, that we as faa, adopt uh neutral language in the drone industry rather than gender binary language.

Two that we replaced the term unmanned with uncrude in order to maintain the use of the you and acronyms in it as a short term solution, but also recognized um, that the recommendation that drone is really optimal for long term use and um. So one of the one of the kind of sub recommendations in there was consider working with congress on a revised definition of uas. Thats more accurately describes these aircraft systems. The challenges is the legislative term lets go on to um recommendations, three and four in the next slide. Please so recommend recommendation three is to um to take on uh to take gender neutral language on two priorities: one that all new documents and materials use: gender neutral language as a day forward activity and then also, as that second priority: rework the existing documents and materials That we have and and prioritize them by the amount of exposure of of individuals or or entities, as well as the level of effort, which makes a lot of sense. The last recommendation that the dak had was that that we, the faa, expand beyond drones to aviation and aerospace, more broadly so, on the next slide, our response so overall, thank you. We really right. We really appreciate this and um, and there was the level of thought that this subgroup applied to the task was really um was really amazing. As i read through that report, i was really odd um. We understand how complicated the topic is and acknowledge that the research and attention to detail uh the dac put into this recommendation was really quite tremendous, and we also recognize that if were going to pull this off, we need everybody to work together, embracing diversity.

Inclusion is going to have a significant impact in bringing all the voices into the conversation and its really going to take all of us. We also acknowledge that many of the terms that dak proposed are not new words or theyre even new to aviation. It was just thoughtful all right, so lets get specific next slide, please some short term actions so um. We agree that diversity, equity inclusion, are critical, building blocks for unleashing and maximizing innovation and weve already begun, taking steps to embrace gender neutral terms in documents. In fact, on the 20th of july a couple months ago, the fa published a draft advisory circular um, that was, that used the term notice to air missions for nodums for airport operators. We dont have to change the acronym, but we do change the purpose and it creates a more inclusive environment for all of aerospace um. In this way, this redefine acronym to nodem no longer represents a gender term and is actually even more inclusive than just making it a non binary. Next slide, please, where possible and appropriate, were going to begin to use the term drone versus unmanned aircraft system or uas. So youre saying abby: what does that mean? Well, that means where it is not tied to a um, an enforcement action or a regulation where its just our use in the lexicon. After all, this is the drone advisory committee and so were going to look at every opportunity that we have to link this more familiar lexicon to the public and then show you know where we do need to link it to regulation where that nexus is so were.

Planning a systematic review and update to all agency programs, policies, procedures, orders and regulations and transitioning to this gender neutral terminology is going to take some time. Many terms are defined in statute where in regulations and for other reasons, cant be changed as quickly as as we would like, and its going to be an iterative process over time next slide. So, to really kick this off, the faa is hosting a virtual inclusive language summit to present and discuss the recommendations that weve received already from you, um that promote the institution of inclusive language throughout the faa. The sum is going to provide a platform for the public to comment and provide additional recommendations to the faa, so we can develop enterprise wide um language thats, both general neutral and inclusive. So, okay, this all sounds great, but when and where and how so on the next slide here are the dates. So we are having this virtual meeting its going to be held on november 10, thats, not so far away from now from 10 a.m, to 12 30 p.m. Eastern time, we actually were very intentional about the time of this summit, because, while its a little its early risers for people that are on the west coast, what this is allowing is a greater um participation of international guests who are embracing this in their own caas Or ansps so were pretty excited from the number of international people who are interested in joining us as well.

It is out in the in the federal register, as you heard earlier, from deputy administrator mims um, and this is really the summary of it. It were gon na be live streaming on, facebook, youtube and twitter, so um. All you have to do is link on one of these therell be a platform for you to make comments or to give suggestions or ask questions um. I understand we might even have well. I know we have our own captain mills participating, and i know that this came about as a result of the voice and the advocacy that this drone advisory committee has done so were deeply grateful. All right next slide, please so whats in the long term. For us. So again, its going to take its going to take a lift when you, when you look at how many directives, orders, regulations, etc, that we have. That said, the long term benefits we see as enhancing safety in our national aerospace system and really will benefit the future of aviation and aerospace. Fas office of policy, international affairs and environment and the office of civil rights together, partnering to lead the agency, development coordination and execution of any new policies and orders. And i will tell you that, as the co leader of this initiative, we meet every week. And we are making momentum and were really excited about moving forward in this inclusive way so see if we have anything else. Next is their next slide.

No thats right discussion. So now id like to turn it back uh to houston for questions that you may have for me or anybody else, yeah so well open up the questions for abby uh before i continue on any questions for abby uh great presentation. Thank you. Oh, i see uh david has his hand raised david. I just have one word outstanding outstanding outstanding. Well done. Thank you. Jeffrey brown go ahead. You want me to sir yeah. Let me meet myself. Thank you um. I think just uh very creative. I, like the no time um mission. I mean that was very creative. I really like to enjoy that a lot um a question i have for you um: will your recommendations, change based on the all inclusive summit recommendations youre making today? Would that change based on the outcome of that summit, so jeffrey? Thank you for the question and thanks for the shout out on the notice to air mission, the cool thing was we actually bounced it back against iko to make sure that we were not out of harmony, but ikea doesnt even define what nota means so um. This leaves it open for other um sovereignties to adopt that same language um as far as whats going to happen with um that summit, so i mean what the dac provided us was this incredible primer and and and draft, and so what we want to do is Gain some momentum, certainly thats, not an all comprehensive list, and not necessarily everything is fully implementable.

So what this does is expands on the amazing work. Thats already been done so its going to be something thats iterated over time, but it will be well be checking back regularly and it will be very public what we do. I hope that kind of answered your question. Yes awesome. Thank you. Okay! Well, go on to uh captain to pete. Thank you! Captain mills. I appreciate that abby all ill say is hallelujah um. We finally were finally getting there um yeah. This is a long time coming and its the first president of the airline police association back in 2019, who fighting to do this for quite some time. We started a presidential committee for diversity and inclusion um. You know its really exciting to me. Uh, you know, ive been speaking to a lot of uh universities and even grade schools um. You know we want to show that our profession and other aviation professions are welcoming inclusive, and this is a great step. So i really applaud the effort. Thank you for all your work. Well, thank you and also thank you for the alpha presence, thats going to be at the inclusive summit as well. Im glad that alpha will be part and and leaning in and demonstrating why faa needs to keep pushing forward. So thank you. The next question comes from chris anderson, yeah um abby. Can you say a little bit more about the congressional element of it. I know that some of these things have to be changed in statutes, and can you talk about what that process would look like yeah chris thats, a really great question so um? You know, following the the june recommendations from the dac, there was so much energy and excitement about woohoo lets move forward and what we, what we then became, um very much aware of, was that there are certain terms that are that are legislated so the term unmanned Aircraft system is actually a legal term in law and so were going to need to influence the change of that law and thats, not something that happens overnight and and and what we can do as an agency is provide technical assistance.

You know so we so does that make sense, so thats and and then so, for regulatory things. If theyre not legislated its a matter of us, putting a technical, um change into a regulation and so its it takes time, but its not the same event horizon that it is where we have terms that are legal terms where we need the will of the hill. No pun intended um to move that forward. Do you think you could have what i was referring to? I dont think i dont think um bonnie draco is here, but she will be at the summit and shes going to be talking specifically about this, and this is my shameless ask that all of you come and bring every friend you know of to weigh in and Provide influence on us moving forward, just as a quick follow up. Do you think from a timing perspective? This could be part of the next reauthorization um. It certainly could be. I mean thats something my group handles as well as coalescing all of that um. You know unless the law was changed before that. Thank you, tom carroll has our next uh question tom, hey abby! Thank you very much, terrific presentation, uh. The one thing i wanted to add is that the tale of the dog on that whole issue is theres. A not quite as much, but there is a lot of state regulation in law with the same type of provisions and your group might want to just keep an eye on that as well in terms of uh, providing some assistance at the below the federal level.

In terms of making those changes as well, thank you. We have a couple more hands up, lauren cass abby good morning, just want to say. First of all, i think we all recognize that this is long overdue and i just wanted to say that you are clearly the right person for this job. Youve got all the energy, you have your arms around it like usual, and we look forward to going forward with you. So thanks. Thank you, lauren its nice to see your face long time and we have uh looks like one final question: uh kathy cahill. Certainly so, thank you all and yes, this is really really important and i really appreciate i guess its now. The aaacs uh leadership on this um abby as this develops, and you end up with lists of terminology and regulation. Please reach out to those of us who are public institutions and have connections with the hill, because we definitely can take things forward um. So it as we identify you know, a master list of what needs to be changed where uh. That makes it much much easier to run through the hills, so please make sure to reach out to the members of this committee. Thank you. I mean kind of like in my in my message earlier. It does take all of us and so thank you so much for your willingness to go there yeah and uh david. Do you have another question yeah? I just have a comment more than the question abby.

If um, i noticed in the recommendations every now and again, there may be a need to do a two step: change um wherever possible. We should really hold ourselves to try and have just go to the right word from the get go and even though that may be difficult, we should and im not much of a politician, but we should hold that line and really force ourselves to be better than We thought we could be from the get go because two step changes. Dont always get us where we need to go at the pace we need to so again. Thank you loud and clear. Thank you, david im, not seeing any other hands up, uh abby. Do you have anything else, um, just just a giant. Thank you to everybody. Um again were at the point where we are because of where you all pushed us and and as as a 30 and a half year, faa person, a former air traffic controller im. So excited about this change because i think what it opens up is just a real air of inclusivity for this wonderful field that were all in that all are welcome and all are needed. So i applaud you and im yielding the floor to the one and only houston, well, wow, uh! Thank you abby for that uh presentation and you know talk about meaningful impact. I think all of us, you know serving leaders who are on this stack. You know want to be part of something that is going to be meaningful and impactful, and you know this is going to be bigger than just the drone community.

This is going to be all over, so i just want to plot all the leadership. Once again, you know applaud the fa for embracing to bring this forward and embracing our thoughts. Uh to uh bring it on, i know, were, were all honored have been part of the dac uh that was callous for this transformation, transformative change, um and as you can, and you can count on abby. Our ongoing support so well absolutely be here throughout you know. So with that uh at this time, how do we plan on taking a 10 minute break uh dac members? Please remain logged in to this meeting with your microphones, mute and well resume the meeting in 10 minutes. Thank you so so this this so this this this. So good afternoon, everyone, the dac meeting, will resume in two minutes. Please return to your computers and ensure your microphones are on mute. Thank you this good afternoon, everyone and welcome back to the second half of todays stack meeting. As a reminder, this meeting is being live. Streamed and recorded it will be available on the faas youtube channel for later viewing also a reminder for dac members. After the next set of briefings, there will be a discussion and q a period. We ask that you first raise your hand using the zoom command on your dashboard. An faa moderator will be monitoring the dashboard and calling you to begin speaking. And lastly, our faa team is monitoring the live stream, so for those of you on zoom, if you have problems at any time during the meeting, please make a note in the comments in the zoom dashboard and we will assist you.

Our next agenda item is task group 11s recommendations for proposed safety guidelines associated with the white paper discussing the acceptable level of risk. Bob brock director division of aviation for the kansas department of transportation will present the recommendations bob over to you. Thank you gary. This is kind of an exciting project. Theres been quite frankly. Let me just say up front were actually grateful that the faa asked such a hard question to this group. When chairman mills put out the information, the request to get data about what experience level the dac represents now triple a c, it was a phenomenal response that the amount of understanding that comes from both the faa and every dac member. There are a few things in aviation that arent covered in this group of participants and were really grateful to even be asked hard questions like this, because theyre not easy and and theyre, not necessarily, you know positive feedback universally all the time. So let me start with just thanking you for that, and the other piece of that is all of the dac members have full time real jobs and and something else to be doing. On top of that, weve had a neat opportunity to participate in other activities with faa, such as the aviation rule, making committees ashore and other things. So when we put the call out to all bac members, i was pleasantly surprised that the number of people that are really working hard to find that honest balance between risks and benefits to society using drones, so its a its a neat topic, its a hard topic.

Im not going to cover all of it today you have the ebook to reference for the full report from the team, but i do want to hit some wave top issues that are important to all of us. So uh slide, please care or just there we go. I want to thank the individuals who participated in this. I wont dwell on this too much, but to have 25 people volunteer. All at once to participate is a major deal considering the context and the timing of everything else that was going on we did have dac members are the majority of the group. We also invited a handful of subject matter experts to reflect parts of the uh aviation spectrum that may or may not be fully represented, and so we brought subject matter. Experts to bear and youll see some of them and with the yellow backgrounds on the dac. Today. To talk about some specific issues, i really want to give a shout out to the three subgroup leaders that raised their hand to say i want to tackle one part of this and bring consensus, or at least bring close to of of parts of the uh. The industry that are far from the same and they represent such a wide spectrum of views and and issues and agenda items, um blending those equities into a clear and concise recommendation for the faa, is no easy task. So i want to give specific shout out to chris cooper who ran the operations subgroup, robert king, that did the aircraft and equipment sub group and tony nannini that did the air and ground risk assessment.

Um. I talked about the broad perspective, broad range of perspectives, its very important to note that these recommendations are neither unanimous nor every position of every dac member theres. So much to talk about when we talk about acceptable levels of risk. No way to cover that in a practical way in a 60 day period so, but we have reached some good good potential recommendations that we think are worthwhile and worth considering um. We did invite every participant if they had a specific issue that was important to them. Regarding risk assessment and or they had something that was very much uh contentious, that was not part of consensus. To give us a one page front and back quick position paper that we include in our recommendations to the faa as appendices. We think its important that everyones perspectives at least be brought forward and uh for consideration, but we did not want to rule anyone out based on the uh the consensus process. One place we did record, that was, that was unanimous weve, given many laudatories to the task group 10 that preceded us couldnt be more enthusiastic to support that effort. I think that those general gender neutral terms are uh important to embrace quickly, and our group did reach unanimous agreement that all of our recommendations that we put forward to you today are using those terms that task group 10, hopefully, is moving into our formal lexicon lexicon. As an industry, so as you read it its going to take a minute to get our heads around those new terms, but we are already using them within the dac to try to reinforce that.

We think its an important thing for the faa to embrace. So we started with a simple document review pulling through the paper getting 25 people to review it. Starting initial conversations, we did provide in our recommendations a very detailed uh feedback on every section of the white paper that was produced by the faa on acceptable levels of risk, so that is accomplished as requested. However, as we represent all of the aviation community from so many different angles, the paper raised some questions and some of the basic assumptions of the fact that we have been doing general aviation and commercial aviation and a variety of well established legacy aviation sectors. Risk assessment is common, it is common, but we also representing the entire community want to say maybe its not holistic or current or as optimized as wed like to see it become one caveat that we talked about. We very formally started the process by saying what are our expectations as a group? How do we want to behave as a group, but how do we want to give feedback to the faa? What youre going to find is slightly different than an arc recommendation. We dont want to complain without having a solution, so we are being a little bit prescriptive in some of the recommendations and we are going there to say, heres a fix and and heres the reason why. The reason? Why is we really truly believe the aviation community, including everything that flies, is one industry that includes our regulator as the faa to participate with us to make this capability available to our nation? As a result, we truly are seeing this as a partnership effort with the faa to give honest feedback and to give feedback.

That is from a consensus body that has a deep vested interest in in helping refine and improve. So those are the kind of things that we came up with as we looked into these as we got the group together from all different walks of life, we started asking questions in the very beginning to try to scope this effort and figure out the most effective Way to do it so slide. Please go back one slide please. So we talk about scope. Well were finding that one um again, we did have a desire to give the faa appropriate feedback were going to need this picture. So not a big deal ill. Keep talking and well get to that slide in a hot minute, um big picture. You can look in your ebook if you wish heres the big picture. The big picture is every single aviation activity has to do risk assessment and and find an acceptable level of risk. Those different areas of acceptable level of risk come down to air and ground risk operator, risk and aircraft and equipment risk. However, the important part on the slide that we were that were going to show you is our tendency as a as an aviation community and as a regulator. Trying to make sense of the national airspace system is to default to the most restrictive and most challenging standard. For each element within those three areas, so probably the very simplest and the most the safest way to do all aircraft operations are to have astronaut qualified people fly ifr at all times, with adsb with every aircraft that flies.

That would be. We can pretty much accept that risk level of risk is, is fully mitigated um, but thats, not practical and and as i spoke this morning matter of fact, with a guy named josh thats, a former rescue helicopter pilot, he now works in the uas business um. He and i talked about how a medevac works when they get the call to go, get someones grandchild, thats, hurt and go to do an air rescue. They have an a a long held tradition and i believe its actually formalized into policy for most companies and its called three to go one to stay and as they everyone shows up to the helicopter. Everyone does the pre brief. They look at the weather. They look at the mission, they look at their own. You know personal human factors, they look at the aircraft maintenance records and they all basically give a thumb vote. Are our three bodies willing to accept the risk and mitigate the risk in order to go? Do that rescue, if all three agree they launch, if one says nope, not comfortable? This is not an appropriate thing for us to do. Missions cancelled no pressure from the other two thats, just something we dont do so they send the ambulance out via ground heres. The significance of that, once the policy is made in that short period, from alert to analysis of the mission to determination of whether or not its an appropriate risk to accept they had to power through a great number of policies and a great number of regulations.

And a great number of judgments that were made well before they ever showed up to the aircraft, but as soon as they show up to the airplane, its now a person making those decisions and its a real time balance. Because is this a good idea, or is this a not a good idea, as we look at policy making as we look at rule making? One of the things that comes down today is in the absence of a policy we hand that judgment making process over to an individual person and theyre, usually a headquarters person and theyre, usually in the faa, to say yes or no is this? Okay, thats a good policy, its a good process, and it works well, but lets go back to our helicopter air crew when they get done whether they launch and go rescue that individual or they choose not to launch regardless every single time they sit down after the Flight and they debrief and they call it a hot wash and they say what did we do? Well? What did we do poorly? What should we have done? You individuals said im not willing to go were cancelling this mission. All three agreed no problem now lets. Go. Do the hot wash help me understand why you said no help me understand where were going with this? What did you not fully pick up on, or what did you pick up on that? We did not, and we teach young air crew to ask better questions if they made a decision.

That was not a good one. Well say: did you ask me good questions to make sure you had the data? We also ask them to be transparent, hey if you would have just told me that that was the issue you had going on. I probably could have explained to you that that wasnt, what we were doing and we could have executed the mission fair enough lessons learned well know better next time. The other thing that we teach all air crew to do is be true to the data. What are the weather minimums today? What is the capability of the aircraft? Are we really honoring the policies, procedures and all of our training that weve formalized so beautifully? Are we being true to that data, if so drive on get the job done, but that hot wash is critical and i think thats something that we need to learn as a rule making community and as a policy making community? How do we look at when those decisions come down to one person? How do we hot wash that event and how do we find the lessons learned and tease out the information thats critical thats, going to drive all the future activities that follow that event, so thats that piece so slide? Please, oh, no hold your hover! That is our slide. Okay, so as we go, if you will kindly go back lamar, i apologize. We with all those assumptions put together as a group, we did decide, the scope needs to be enlarged.

We need to reference everything that we know about risk assessment and finding acceptable levels of risk and figure out how to do that in a practical way, with 25 people in a 60 to 90 day period. What if we had everyone submit whats your number one issue: what framework do you think is a smart way to analyze this to give something to the faa that they can actually use? We certainly dont want to be that guy that just complains and doesnt give a solution, and we certainly dont want to give them something. Thats, not credible. We did decide to do those three subgroups, those three individuals we talked about earlier volunteered delete them, and then we started publishing action plans that just talked simply the entire group knew what was coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBiaRHRHQ1o